You have probably heard about the recall of certain pet foods manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods in their manufacturing facility located in Gaston, SC. However, the recall continues to be expanded. The original three brands of recalled dry dog food recalled after samples tested positive for Salmonella were:
- Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice Formula for Adult Dogs
- Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula
- Diamond Puppy Formula
On May 3rd, the CDC reported a multi-state outbreak of Salmonella Infantis in humans linked to dry dog food, which resulted in 14 people being infected in 9 different states. According to the company, no animals have been sickened. The CDC recommended that consumers check their homes for these products, and discard these products if found.
Most recently Diamond Pet Foods has voluntarily expanded their recall to include the following additional products manufactured in the Gaston plant:
- Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
- Country Value
- Diamond Naturals
- Premium Edge
- Taste of the Wild
How to tell if you have some of the recalled pet food? First, look for the production code on the pet food bag. If the 9th or 10th character on the Production Code is a 2 or a 3, followed by an X (2X or 3X), then that product is included in the recall. The recalled bags of pet food have a “Best Before Date” of December 9, 2012 through April 7, 2013.
Additionally, last month Diamond Pet Foods recalled some Kirkland Signature brands sold at Costco. The Kirkland Signature pet foods include the following products with a “Best Before Date” of December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013:
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb, Rice & Vegetable Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs
Wellpet, LLC, has also announced a voluntary recall of Wellness dry dog food which was produced at the Gaston, SC, facility linked to the Diamond Pet Foods recall. The product involved is
- Wellness Complete Health Super5 Mix Large Breed Puppy, 15 lb bags, 30 lb bags, and 5 oz sample bags with “Best By” dates of January 9, 2013 through January 11, 2013.
The manufacturer notes “The majority of Wellness natural products for pets are produced in WellPet’s own modern state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Mishawaka, Indiana. WellPet no longer purchases any products from Diamond Pet Foods.”
If you have any questions regarding whether your pet’s food is involved in the recall, you can contact Diamond Pet Foods at 1-866-918-8756, Monday through Sunday, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. EST. Consumers may also go to a special website, diamondpetrecall.com, for more information.
The illness is contracted by people after handling the infected dog food and failing to wash their hands. Regardless of which food you give to your pets, it is always important to take precautions for safe handling of any pet food.
Natural Balance Pet Foods has issued a voluntary recall of some of their dry dog food which was manufactured at the Diamond Pet Foods Gaston, SC plant due to possible contamination with Salmonella. The recall includes selected bags of Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison Dog, Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog, Natural Balance Vegetarian Dog, and Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Bison Dog brands. The Natural Balance website maintains a list of the specific products included in the recall.
If you have this dog food, you are advised to dispose of it safely. For additional information, contact Natural Balance Pet Foods Customer Service at (800) 829-4493 from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm PST.
Read Related Posts on PetMeds Blog: