Reducing static electricity in your pet’s fur

Cold, dry air can cause static buildup

Static electricity is common when the air is dry and the humidity is low, so it is a much more frequent problem in the winter months when the air is cold and dry, and indoor heating removes moisture from the air. Problem static electricity can also occur year-round in places with a dry climate. Your pet’s fur will build up a small electrical charge, and sometimes the fur may even visibly stand on-end. When you touch your pet, you both may receive a small shock.

Oatmeal & Aloe Vera Shampoo is available at PetMeds

Not surprisingly, the solution is to add moisture back to your environment and/or your pet’s fur. A room humidifier will add needed moisture to the air, reducing static electricity. A light mist of water on your pet’s fur will make the fur incapable of holding a static charge. You can also add moisture to your pet’s fur by bathing with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, or wiping down the fur with pet wipes.  There are also special ionic brushes which generate positive ions when you brush your pet, counteracting static electricity.  Also, consider adding an Omega 3 fatty acid supplement to your pet’s diet to keep his coat healthy, shiny and moisturized from the inside-out.

Some advocate lightly wiping your pet with fabric softener sheets; however, this is not recommended as these sheets contain chemicals which may be dangerous to your pet or irritating to his skin. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, “Exposure to cationic detergents may result in local corrosive tissue injury as well as severe systemic effects. All species are susceptible. Cats are at increased risk of oral exposure due to grooming habits.”

Do your pets have a problem with static electricity?

Related Posts

Leave a Comment