K9 Advantix is one of the most common used once monthly topical pesticides used for external skin parasite control, covering fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. One of the nicer benefits is that it will still be effective even after washing and bathing (wait 24 hours after applying), and has additional benefits of not only quickly killing mature and immature fleas and ticks, but in also repelling these parasites from biting as well. It comes in very convenient dosing packaging for dogs up to 10 pounds, dogs from 11-20 pounds, dogs from 21-55 pounds, and dogs over 55 pounds.
If your pet is on the border of these dosage cut offs, you can always start with the lower dose of K9 Advantix, however, if effective pest control is not seen, than giving the higher dose is certainly safe in most pets. It is not necessary to separate dogs after dosing them topically with this product, however, if dogs are actively playful and/or licking one another, it may be best to have them apart for a few hours, until the product has had a chance to dry.
|A few years ago, it was recommended not to purchase this product if an animal guardian also had cats due to their sensitivity to the permethrin insecticide in this product. However, that labeling has now changed and it is ok to use in households with cats, as long as animal guardians wait until the product is completely dry on the dog before exposing them to household cats.|
I have not heard of its use in other species, although an animal guardian of exotic pets can certainly contact Bayer to find out if this is possible. Side effects are rare, but may include (in sensitive pets):
– Contact irritation/allergy causing hair loss at site of application
– Digestive upset
– Neurological reactions such as seizures (rarer cases)
If this should occur, changing to a different topical pesticide like Frontline Plus or trying a natural alternative may be helpful. I never recommend using two topical pesticides at the same time such as Frontline Plus or K9 Advantix. However, if one is not working for an animal guardian, make sure one is treating the home adequately for fleas, as well as one could change from one product to another. It is typically not harmful to humans unless the product is swallowed or gets in one’s eyes. But I have heard of isolated reports of skin numbness following contact with the product, thus animal guardians should always wear gloves when applying this or any topical pesticide in my opinion.