Bella shares 5 Valentine tips for pet safety
Hi everypawdy *Bella waves paw* It’s me, Bella!! It is Valentine’s Day today, and I have not just one, but FIVE great Valentine’s day tips for your pet’s safety today!
Today is a big day and sure to be a curious one for your pets because there are some new and exciting things going on all at the same time. There is sure to be candy, and lot of it. Did you know that Xylitol, a popular artificial sweetener found in candies and chewing gum for diabetics is lethal to your dog? It is also found in sugar-free candies and gums, breath mints, baked good, cough syrups, children’s chewable vitamins, mouthwash and toothpastes. It is EXTREMELY toxic to dogs even in the smallest of doses, and signs of trouble can occur as rapidly as 15-30 minutes of ingestion.
Every girl loves to get flowers! Flowers are big on Valentine’s Day, they are very pretty and smell very nice. There are some flowers, however, that can make your pet’s tummy sick. A common flower often bundled in floral arrangements on Valentine’s Day is Baby’s Breath and Carnations. Pets love to eat strange things and these two flowers, while not the most toxic on the list, can give us a really bad tummy ache. Daffodils, lilies, tulips, and narcissus–all bulb plants–have the highest concentration of toxins in bulb, so if you have a pet that likes to dig you may want to redesign your flower beds.
Dinner by candle light? Heck yeah! But before you retire make sure you blow out those candles. Curious pets looking for a left-behind morsel to eat can knock over a burning candle and set a different kind of fire that will ruin your evening.
There is a lot of last-minute shopping and gift bag filling going on around my house right now; we have an adoption event for Southern California Pomeranian Rescue on the Sunday after Valentine’s Day and Mommy wants to have a Valentine gift for all the volunteers that help us. The table is covered with gift wrap, ribbons, cellophane wrap, gift bags, cards and stickers. Oh boy, what curious puppy wouldn’t find that a fun thing to play with! Be sure to keep this out of the reach of pets so you don’t end up at the Animal ER after one of them has swallowed down about 3 ft of curling ribbon!
What’s bigger than chocolate at Valentine’s Day? More chocolate of course! Chocolate is not for dogs, though, and is extremely toxic. Just because the lid is on the box, and the box is wrapped, don’t think that we can’t smell that there is chocolate inside, and we will just tear that box up to get it–and get very sick. Keep that box out of the reach of your pets, please! The best place is in the refrigerator anyway!
If you think you may have a pet poisoning emergency, you can call the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-800-213-6680 for help 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, and get help. There is even an iPhone App that you can get for $1.99 from iTunes (see their website for information). It will help immensely if you have the packaging or the wrapper from the item that your pet has eaten so you can tell them the brand or give them a description of what it was, perhaps even the ingredients. Keep this telephone number with your other emergency telephone numbers. Mommy has just tested the number to make sure it is still a current and valid number (it is) and now has it logged into her cell phone contacts list.
Happy Valentine’s Day to all of my furrends and readers, be aware and be safe!