10 Reasons to Celebrate Your Dog on National Dog Day
August 26th marks the annual National Dog Day. This is a day where we can give our dog the royal treatment, and appreciate all the good things our dogs bring to our lives. In case you are wondering why there is a day just for dogs, here are a few reasons:
- Dogs are hard workers. Some dogs lead the blind or help on the farm, and all they want in return is a simple pat on the back.
- Dogs are watchdogs. If trained right, dogs can protect us from intruders, or even strangers on the street.
- Dogs lessen loneliness. When we are lonely, it’s normal to feel sad and depressed. However, studies have shown that animals can reduce tension and improve mood, and help some people with moderate depression.
- Dogs improve your health. Studies have shown that having a pet can decrease blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and triglyceride levels. In fact, pet parents over the age of 65 make 30% fewer visits to their doctors than those without pets – wow, what a difference a pet can make!
- Dogs help you exercise. Another way a dog can help your health is to help you get out and exercise more. When your dog needs a walk, it’s not just helping your pet’s health; it’s helping your health too.
- Dogs give you responsibility. Having a dog is a great responsibility, but that’s not a bad thing. In fact, for young adults, taking care of an animal can help teach values as well as responsibility.
- Dogs need friends too. Have a fun afternoon with your pooch at a dog park where he or she can meet other rambunctious pups, plus you can also meet other loving dog parents.
- Dogs are loyal. It has always been said that a “dog is man’s best friend” – well it really is true. The friendship between dog and man dates back for thousands of years. Dogs always give unconditional love, to a man, woman, or child.
- Dogs love to bond. Dogs are very affectionate creatures, which means they love to cuddle with other animals and even humans as much as possible. I mean, what more could you want after a long, hard day?
- Dogs are fun to have around. Last but not least, dogs are just really fun to have around, because they bring out the adventurer in us. Whether you want to take a new hiking trail or run an extra mile, our precious pets are with us every step of the way.
Whether you have one, two or three dogs, you know just how important they are. In good times and in bad, you can always expect to see Fido waiting at the door when you come home. Let your pup know just how much you appreciate him or her with a new toy, treats, or perhaps even a new dog bed. Besides, it is the least we can do for the one that always has our back.