PetMeds® Addressing Eye Problems in Dogs and Cats

Due to the complexity of the eyes, consulting with your veterinarian is the best option in addressing any eye problems in your pet.

As a blogger for 1-800-PetMeds I am often presented with from customers regarding what to do about various eye symptoms for their pets. Some of these topics can range from treatments for red eyes, eyes that are held shut, eye discharge, and cloudy or swollen eyes. Nearly 100% of the time I will inform clients that they should see their veterinarians for proper diagnosis and treatment. This is often the case because it is difficult for me to recommend even an over-the-counter eye treatment when I don’t know the diagnosis of the eye problem.

The reason being is that the eyes of our pets are complex and there are many possible eye illnesses pets may suffer from, including scratches or ulcers on the corneas, glaucoma, cataracts, and problems with the retinas. All of which are treated differently. While many veterinarians are skilled in treating eye disorders, I will often recommend clients to consider seeing or inquiring about a veterinary opthomologist or specialist in eye diseases for complex cases, or where initial treatment by their veterinarians does not result in adequate resolution of symptoms.

Related Posts


  1. I read your entire message above, therefore I will address the eye drainage with my Vet.

  2. Pingback: Why Do Eye Problems Occur? | Better Vision Secrets

  3. I my cat now about 8 months, had this eye problem, I changed several doctors, but they all prescribe Terramycin for cats. When I apply the cream it works, she is all good and if I stop the eye clear discharges comes back and her eye lids get ready and she scratches and it starts to bleeds somethings.

    She is a type of long hair Semis cat with blue eyes. Do you think i should continue apply the cream and hopefully she will grow out of it? Please advise.

    Thank you,

  4. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianJune 27, 2012 at 8:02 pm

    I would see if you can get appointment with vet opthomologist in your area for expert opinion.

Leave a Comment