PetMeds® Is It Safe to Feed My Dog or Cat Table Scraps?
|Our pets are part of our family, so it’s no surprise that many pet owners give their pets leftovers or table scraps. While including fresh lean meat can make wonderful additions to a pet’s diet, there are many foods that one should never feed their animal companions. Below is a list of several food items (and liquids) that can be potentially dangerous to your pet and should be avoided:|
• Grapes/raisins – have been found to cause kidney failure in sensitive pets and should be avoided at all costs.
• Chocolate, coffee, and caffeine – each may cause vomiting and diarrhea, in addition to neurological reactions due to methylxanthine buildup in the pet’s blood.
• Macadamia nuts and avocados – both are popular human items, giving these to pets may cause digestive tract upset, as well as high fevers.
• Xylitol – an artificial sweetener that causes insulin release and potential liver failure when ingested by pets.
• Garlic and onions – may also cause digestive upset, as well as damage red blood cells causing life threatening anemia. The small amounts of garlic present in over the counter brewers yeast and garlic products often used by animal guardians as natural flea control does not appear to present this type of problem in the amount used in these products.
• Milk – can cause digestive upset and diarrhea in many pets, as many pets lack the digestive enzyme lactase.
• Large amounts of bread – can cause a buildup of gas and severe cramping and even twisting of the stomach or intestines.
• Alcohol – should be avoided at all costs due to the toxic effect on the liver and nervous system.
Do you give your pet table scraps? What are some of your pet’s favorite “human” foods?
My little min pin gets small amounts of scraps a a couple days a week 🙂 He loves steak, chicken, and pasta & salad 🙂 My pitbull is strickly on IAMS dog food 🙂
We have always given our dogs “healthy” table scraps (meat scraps and vegetables) in addition to their IAMS dog food. All of our dogs have lived long healthy lives.
My dogs love grilled chicken!!! Anything from the grill really. I believe it adds to their diet a healthy suppliment that most dog foods lack. They love cooked vegetables too.
As long as they tolorate it that is great. Make sre though they are also consuming a well balanced diet as well.
We have always fed our dogs table scraps (meats and vegetables) plus their regular dog food (Iams) and they have all lived long healthy lives.
I got Charlie when he was 3 mos old,,,,,Just Lttle old baby..Yes I HAVE GAVE HIM M@m’S ONCE I A WHILE,,bUT AFFTER SEEING THIS I WON;T NO MORE cHARLIE,,
lOOKS LIKKE I’m OING TO BEE lEARNING MORE THINGS BOUT MY PETS THANK;S FOR SHRING,,CHRISSY COLE