PetMeds® Topical Antibiotic Pet meds for Chronic Ear Problems

One of the more common questions presented in skin cases, is why their pet itches their ears so much even while on topical antibiotics, and the problem keeps recurring, as well as the over and over again veterinary office visits and costs. Recurrent ear inflammation with secondary ear itching, head shaking and increased wax, odor and discharge are often the signs of a secondary yeast or bacterial ear infection.  And while most vets will prescribe topical antibiotics like Tresaderm, Otomax, and Mometomax, which will often quickly relieve the discomfort, the problem often recurs at a later date.

That is because most dogs or cats with chronic ear issues like this often have underlying allergies as causing the secondary ear infections. Inhalant or contact allergens to grass, trees, dander, dust mites, pollens, and molds to name a few, as well as food allergens, all may be potentially involved with recurrent ear infections in dogs. And unless these underlying potential causes are addressed, the problem will continue to recur. Sometimes even dogs with hormonal problems like low thyroid levels can have recurrent ear infections. And while it is important to treat the secondary yeast or bacterial infections of the ears, many pets will often need preventative ear maintenance, while the above potential causes are worked through by your veterinarian. I’ve found excellent cleaners like Malacetic Otic often quite helpful in keeping yeast and bacterial overgrowth down in the ears, as well as nonprescription topical products like Zymox Otic quite helpful in managing chronic problem ears.

1. My black lab is 12 years old and has had an ear infection. I’ve tried topical antibiotics but it doesn’t clear it up. Are black labs prone to getting ear infections? Is there a doggie rx that will clear this up? HELP!

2. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianOctober 1, 2010 at 8:25 am

Yes labs are prone to ear infections both because of the shape of their ears and their predispostion to allergies, usually either inhalent/contact allergies and/or food allergies. it is important to work with your vet on these underlying causes or the problem will recur. Try great product zymox otic HC from 1800petmeds which can help

3. My labradoodle is 3 years old and has an ear infection for some time 11/2 years. The vet has given her conosyn for meds. And given her Epi-Otic for cleaning. Is the best or is there something else I( can use? Reply please.

4. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianOctober 31, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Try zymox otic HC which is great and safe for most chronic ear issues. IF problem persists, then consider having vet do ear culture to find out if resistant bacteria or yeast. Also important to address underlying causes of ear issues such as inhalent/contact allergies food allergies, etc or problem will recur.

5. My maltese suffers with ear infections and tonight she kept me up and herself by headshaking. I reached for a bottle of what I thought was her med for her ears being so tired and discovered it was Metacam for her joints. Can this hurt her I am so up set. Immediately, I diluted 1/2 and 1/2 water and vinger and dropped into her ears hoping she would shake it all out. I think she did. She is sleeping and I’m not. I’m placing an order for her chronic ear problems with you tonight. Please let me know if I hurt her. She is 14 and my heart and if I hurt her I would NEVER forgive myself. Lily

6. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianFebruary 17, 2011 at 9:14 am

I doubt putting metacam topically in ears will have any long term effect. Sounds like you flushed ear out properly and now your pet should be fine. IF acting strange, always best to take to vet for proper exam.

7. I have a two year old pitbull with chronic ear problems. They are always itchy and he is constantly rubbing his head on the carpet and on furniture. We’ve been to the vet countless times and everytime its the same story. We get the medicine and he’s good for two-three days after he finishes it and then its right back to being itchy. We’ve changed his food, and as directed by our vet he is on a regular routine of bendryl. I also just ordered the zymox otic HC but is there anything else I can do? I know some people recommend mineral oil ear drops but I was hesitant.

8. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianApril 15, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Try the zymox otic HC protocol twice daily for 2 weeks and then 3-4 times weekly. Also consider blue miracle ear ointment from http://www.itsfortheanimals.com …. I have found that product helpful as well in chronic ear issues. Pellitol is another cheap product that one can pack into inflamd ears once weekly for 3-4 weeks

9. I have a dog who was diagnosed with a yeast infection in her ear. I started her on Zymox HC 6 days ago and contacted the company, and they said apply it once a day for 7-14 days. I was just wondering about your above comment about twice daily for two weeks. After one application my dogs ears are still goopy with the gel Zymox at the next application, 24 hrs later. Thank you.

10. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianJuly 14, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I have found twice daily application initially more effective in getting quicker clinical response.

11. I have a 7 year old German Shepherd with constant ear infections. He is highly strung and i cant get him to allow me to work with his ears, thus cleaning and medicating is almost impossible. His ears are smelly and sensitive to the touch. Please advise how i can calm him down so that i will be able to teach him to receive such treatment?

12. I have a great pyrenese that always has an ear infection. Like some other comments I have read, we take him to the vet and he will be ok while he is on the medication. I am tired of paying up to $600 for the visits, cause they have to sedate him everytime. They gave us sedation medicane one time so we could clean him. They will not give us any more unless we take him in, which will be another $600 or so. I am going to order the Zmox H-6 from you. Do you have anything I can sedate him with.

13. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianJanuary 24, 2012 at 11:55 am

No prescription drugs at this time available unless you get from your vet. you can try be serene from 1800petmeds.

14. i have a cat that has a ear infection i took her to petsmart some time ago.frist of all they did something to her while i was waiting for her in there back room,she was really upset what the tech did to her was flush her ears out and give me some drops ,when i got back home and i was looking at the meds she forgot to give me the ear droper!any way to this date she still has the ear infection!

15. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianSeptember 25, 2012 at 4:22 pm

You could try zymox otic HC from 1800petmeds. If no help then see vet again for recheck and possibly ear culture and/or different topical ear medication.

16. My Blue Healer/Border Collie has a chronic ear infection. I tried antibiotics. I tried Zymox. I tried apple cider vinegar. Nothing helps. His ear is worse. The stench is awful with pus oozing out. His ear has closed shut.

Somebody told me to try ‘Pellitol” but I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Any suggestions?

17. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianApril 23, 2013 at 8:49 am

I would ask vet to do ear culture to see if special topical and/or oral antibiotics are needed. Pellitol is an old but sometimes effective remedy. Try googling it to find it on line.

18. Hi. I have a 3 year old Rottweiler who began getting ear infections when we moved to Kentucky from Arizona. I took her to the vet and was told she had a yeast infection most likely from her swimming in the Ohio River. The vet had to give her a steriod shot to reduce the swelling in the ear canal making it possible to clean out the ear. The vet prescribed Mometamax which cleared it up, temporarily. The infections keep coming back even though she has not been swimming.. We moved back to Arizona and I thought that the dry climate would help, but it has not. The gunk in her ears is brown blackish and the inside of the ear flap is red and strangely bumpy and peely looking. She cries when she tries to scratch her ear. I am going to try an ear flush today to get all of the gross stuff out of her ear with a mild soap (using it as a detergent of surfactant to break up the tar gunk) and after reading a homeopathic website, will apply a mixture of boric acid powder and pellitol. I am wondering what the difference is between pellitol ointment and the Zymox otic HC you recommended above? Do they serve the same function? Can I use the Zymox after putting in the boric acid powder? Thank you for any help you can provide!

19. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianJuly 22, 2013 at 11:01 pm

HI Kristen. Zymox otic is different product that works differently from pellitol or boric acid powder. Zymox has enzymes in it that break down wax and discharge as well as killing many yeast and bacteria. You may want to consider trying one protocol first and then another. Also your vet may want to culture the ear to make sure no resistant bacteria in ears. Often chronic ear issues are due to inhalent/contact allergies and/or food allergies, as well as sometimes low thyroid levels. Consider exploring these with your local vet. Another possibility is to consider treating your pet constitutionally with classical homeopathy to improve health over time on totality level. To learn more see http://www.beyondflatearth.com as well as my website http://www.doctordym.com Many homeopathic vets do offer phone consultations if there are none in your area.

20. hi, my cat, scarycat has had an ear infection on & off sinceshe came to me as a kitten, the ear drops seem to help at first, but not anymore and now when i put it in her ear ,since she is a outside cat,she takes off and won’t come home .this is not good she’s like a baby to me (my daugther) there are coyote all around in my area ,so to be honest i stop putting the drops in her ears, please tell me is ear drops the only thing i can do.is there an liquid antibiotic or shot that a vet could treat her with, thanks (reply)

21. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianOctober 3, 2013 at 11:36 pm

you could ask vet for a shot of convenia antibiotic, which lasts for 2 weeks. Also could try zymox otic HC from 1800petmeds.

22. It’s very trouble-free to find out any topic on web as compared to books, as I found this paragraph at this web page.

23. I really appreciate all the information I have received & am going to try some of try some of the things I have read about..
    Thanks

24. I was given a Basset Hound 3 years ago. She has had a ear infection the entire time I have had her. It is so upsetting to me that all the vets I have taken her to can’t get rid of this. I have spend soooo much money and I hate to say this but I can’t spend anymore!!! Can anyone recommend anything besides going back to these vets? I would appreciate any help. It hurts my heart to know she has this and can’t get rid of it.

25. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianFebruary 9, 2015 at 11:04 pm

Try zymox otic HC from 1800petmeds.