Treating feline diabetes

Diabetes is a common hormonal disease seen in cats

As cats age they are prone to some of the same degenerative medical conditions as  humans are. Two of the more common hormonal diseases seen in cats include diabetes mellitus and hyperthyroidism. The most common form of diabetes seen in the cat is where the ability to produce insulin has been transiently or permanently reduced. One of the biggest and most important factors as to the high incidence of this problem in cats is the exclusive feeding and recommendation of dry food only diets to our feline friends.

Most dry cat foods are full of processed carbohydrates, which allow them to be made into a dry kibble form. Not only are such foods a big risk factor in developing feline urinary tract disorders (known as FUS or feline urologic syndrome), chronic dehydration, kidney failure and obesity, but feeding such diets to a naturally meat eating species like the cat is certainly a recipe for disastrous health. Even domesticated cats are obligate carnivores, whose digestive tracts are designed to eat mostly meat. The consumption of so many carbohydrates puts tremendous strain on the liver and other metabolic pathways, and has been shown to play a direct role in various pancreatic, digestive and liver disorders in cats.

In fact, once a cat is diagnosed with diabetes, one of the first steps a veterinarian will take is to put a cat on a “Catkins” (no carb, high fat, high protein meat-based) diet. Sadly, this should be a preventative recommendation given by most veterinarians BEFORE such a severe pathology develops. If caught early enough, diabetes can even be sometimes reversible by changing over to a non-carbohydrate diet for the cat. And while in humans and to lesser extent dogs, oral prescription drugs such as Glipizide can sometimes be helpful in managing diabetic individuals, these oral drugs are much less successful in cats. Current insulins used by many veterinarians include Humulin N insulin, Lantus/Glargine insulin and ProZinc insulin for cats. While most of these insulins require prescriptions for U-100 insulin syringes, the newer Vetsulin insulin requires special syringes called U-40 syringes.

Amongst the more superior diets include homemade meat-based diet recipes, as described in the book by Anitra Frazier called The Natural Cat, or the more natural commercial canned pet food diets by Wysong or Pet Guard. There are many useful supplements for diabetic cats including Proanthozone, NaturVet Enzymes and Probiotics and Super Pure Omega 3. These products make up the Endocrine Package Deal.  In addition, the supplement DMG liquid or Vetri-DMG is also wonderful in helping balance blood sugar levels.

1. I find it amazing that my cat, who is far from overweight (full grown, 11 lbs.), who is lean and fairly active, for a 10 year old indoor animal, has diabetes! I am shocked. He never eats human food, except for 1% milk! How can that be??????

2. Cats do not need cow’s milk or any milk. Diabetes affects average weight livving creatures. You are not required to be fat to get diabetes:)

3. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianDecember 17, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Many times diabetes in cats is due to dietary factors such as too much processed carbs or preservatives low quality ingredients present in dry food which many cats eat. Often feeding a high protein high fat low carb diet i.e meat based preferably home made diet is enough to often manage many diabetic cats. I have also found autoimmune responses to vaccination involved in diabetes in pets, as has been unknowingly to many humans been shown through research to be a factor as well.

4. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianDecember 17, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Milk is not needed by cats but many do tolorate it as a treat. Diabetes is multifactorial in both people and animals, especially with regard to diet, toxin exposure, genetics, even vaccination reactions etc

5. Thanks Doctors for your answers. And thank you Susan for your surely answer. I am sorry my ignorance bothers you so.

6. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianDecember 18, 2010 at 1:50 pm

You are very welcome. Have a great day.

7. Well, I am 14 and I have the same problem. I weight 137lbs and want to loose at least 27 lbs, by the time I start high school, to get to the weight I need to be. What you can do is exercise at least 4-5 times a week, drink water, eat healthy foods, and try to move around a lot. Moving around will help you to lose weight even though you move a little. Keep track of your weight and the goal, which is the amount you want to lose. I hope this info will help you. Good luck =).

8. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianJanuary 17, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Thanks for sharing. Our pets certainly need exercise too to help with weight loss.

9. Our cat Murray (10 yrs old) recently was diagnosed with diabetes and has been taking Lantus with good results. When I bought the first vial, I was in a hurry to get it and get started. Now I’m looking around for other places to purchase the meds. I was wondering why Lantus isn’t available here and if it will be in the future. With young triplets at home and now a diabetic cat, I’m always looking for ways to streamline things and ordering online would be a great help! Thanks in advance for your reply 🙂

10. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianAugust 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I would check with 1800petmeds pharmacist on potential future availability. Other option would be to do on line search for product.

11. My 11 yr old male cat was diagnosed with diabetes last year not long after he had a UTI. He was peeing excessively & had even peed laying behind me on the back of the sofa! It seems he now has these symptoms again; peeing outside the litter boxes on the newspaper & just peed on my husband & sofa where he was laying! He had seemed to be regulated on the Prozinc but has become overweight again. If he doesn’t have his food out continuously; he meows nonstop, head butting me & eventually vomiting up bile & then dry heaving & having notably shaky front legs. He won’t eat any other cat food but Purina, (He’s on the “One” indoor) doesn’t eat treats, canned cat food or any people food.

12. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianJune 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I would take him to vet to have checked for urinary infection. Also try food called wysong epigen now available from 1800petmeds.

13. Thank you for your prompt reply. I also have an 8 yr old and 1 yr old cat that eat together. They are more open to “treats” and anything that falls on the floor. Would they be ok with eating the Wysong epigen? Since I have to have food continuous in the food bowls, I’d have to mix with the Purina one to eventually switch over.

14. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianJune 6, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Yes the wysong epigen from 1800petmeds would be excellent for all to eat.

15. Today, our eight year old cat was diagnosed with diabetes. She is spending the night at the vets in order for the vet to determine the correct amount of insulin she will need. I am shocked and saddened by this news, but I have already found some very helpful information on this site. If I am correct, I believe I read that a no dry food diet is recommended for diabetic felines, and I must find out if Maddie has type 1, or type 2 diabetes. I am concerned about her diet because my vet told me she could have either dry or canned food. I also think I read that it is possible that a diabetic cat might not always be diabetic. My vet is totally confusing me on Maddie’s diet and non-diabetic possibilities for the future. I will be grateful for any comments you can provide! !

16. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianDecember 7, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Most vets are not that knowledgable when it comes to diet in general for patients. As for diabetic cats, they do best on low carb low grain high protein diets. I prefer natural diets like wysong epigen diet or evo diets from 1800petmeds. Most likely your cat will initially need insulin. I would also work with a holistic vet who can help with nutritional and dietary supplements, as well as even possibly homeopathy to help your cat long term. To learn more see http://www.doctordym.com

17. My cat Taylor is approaching his 20th birthday. He was recently diagnosed with diabetes. All the signs are there. He drinks excessively and will eat little portions as much as six times a day. His treatment is DM diet by purina and insulin twice a day. This is the problem, I don’t feel comfortable giving him an injection twice a day. Is there an alternative to insulin injections. I would easily administer oral medications.

18. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianJanuary 1, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Oral medications usually dont work in cats. Sometimes the prescription diets can help and cats may not need insulin down the road but initially many do in fact need insulin injections.

19. Please inform this person above (Lin) that wrote way back in January 1, 2013 I am there with my cat Dude (Do De) for short. Dude is going on 10 years come Oct, 2013 and it was heartbreaking to find out that on December 11, 2012 he too was diagnose with type 2 Diabetes. On August 8, 2012 Dude had a senior thorough checkup and there was nothing mention then of Diabetes. Dude was on Pro Zinc Insulin tid till the 26th of April and then was switched over to NPH insulin which I purchase at Walmart a whole lot cheaper than any pharmacy ever. But what I am getting at is ‘Dude still takes insulin tid and on 4 units each now.’ Dude’s glucose is HIGH and I mean HIGH. Dude is my kid/cat and I love him. I take it Lin you are more important than Taylor is as that is how you come across here online? Dude is on DM and Fancy Feast Classic and loves food. Lazy as can be and goes through litter as if its out of style. So get a grip and get Taylor on Insulin unless you rather see him die because he will. I been there and thought of letting go as I am not selfish. If my vet says its time than well but we still have good times together. I love him and smitten by him the first day I saw him as a little tyke once Feral. Kat

20. I hope I am able to reply to this email from Murray oh wait back in Augst 25, 2011. Well I hope something has developed since then on or about Lantus. You might search deeper with your vet as my vet from a VCA Hospital said Lantus wow extremely costly. So then he stated oh ‘NPH’ Insulin Kat that will be less costly but you need to do your shopping. Home base store is in ARKANSAS got it. Dude was on Pro Zinc @ $134.87 for a little vial bottle about two months worth but on low dosage now Dude is on NPH and 4 units tid. Do your shopping for Murray and check back with your vet. Check on Facebook with CAT PEOPLE.

21. George are you a CAT? Got a tail or no tail, whiskers and look like a CAT. This is about CATS and Dogs not people but then back in 2011 you were still a SQUIRT at the age of 14. Enough said.

22. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianJune 2, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Cats with persistant elevated blood sugar levels should certainly be on some form of insulin therapy.

23. Recent diagnosis of diabetes in 12 yr old male feline. Prescription cat food at clinic is outrageously priced. Does 800PetMeds carry an alternative to Prescription Diet’s m/d or Purina’s DM Dietetic Management,as well as, the insulin Lantus?

24. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianAugust 18, 2013 at 12:32 am

You could try Protamine Zinc insulin or novolin N or Humulin N as cheaper alternatives. As for diets, I am not fan of these presription diets and prefer low carb, low grain all natural diets like wysong epigen diet from 1800petmeds.

25. My girl cat has high blood sugar we changed her diet to low carb can food, does she need something to munch on? What success has come from just diet change?