Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs

An additive found in many pet medicines as an artificial sweetener, known as xylitol, has been getting a lot of attention recently.  While this sugar alcohol compound is commonly added to human foods such as gum, candies, or sweets as a sugar replacement, ingestion by dogs can lead to toxicity in some cases in as soon as 30-60 minutes. If you suspect your dog has accidentally consumed xylitol, it is best to call an emergency veterinary clinic and have your pet examined as soon as possible.

This compound causes an insulin-like effect on the body resulting in low blood sugar and potassium. Signs may include vomiting, weakness, depression, and wobbliness.  If you suspect your dog has accidentally consumed xylitol, it is best to call an emergency veterinary clinic and have your pet examined as soon as possible.

While in some cases vomiting can be induced at home with hydrogen peroxide, other cases will need IV fluids and other supportive care at the veterinary clinic.  Now that this effect has been documented, many manufacturers of pet drugs and supplements are removing this additive from their products and looking at other alternative sweeteners.

Related Posts


  1. I think my chihuahua ate some food from the garbage and got food poisoning , what should I do ? I gave her slot of water and some antibiotic pill for dogs ? Is that alright she had gotten two sezures today and I could not think what was going on with her ,then I looked up what could be the problem and went out side and looked around and seen she had gotten some old roting food and it had mold ? She had not vomited and I tride to make her she had not gotten diaheria or anything gave her a lot of water , I do not know what els to do and do not have money to take her to the vet and where I live they are expensive , even though , I do not have the money and am scared for my baby I have her by my side and hope she feels better in the morning . Pleas let me know something , I will try to go and get a lone Fromm the the bank in the morning and see if ? I can to take her to the vet . Tank you and what aver help would be’ appreciated . Thank you

    And e-mail is( chucoflores13@aol.com )

  2. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianOctober 21, 2013 at 11:34 pm

    I am so sorry to hear of your dog. Nothing though you can do at home in this situation. Maybe try local human society or aSPCA which often has low cost vet services.

  3. On good friday my dog ice my only friend and companion had to be put to sleep.her symptoms were;laboured breathing red eys,gums,toung;
    ,vomiting convultion and repeted seasiurs over about 12 hrs eventuallycausing braindamadge,icouldnt bear to see her suffer she was so scared i could tell as she was9 yo iraised her from a pup she would have given her own life to protect me the vet suspects a bait but being a pensior could not afford more tests so had to make THAT decision feel like i ordered the murder of my best mate.Do youhave any ideas as to what type of poison may have killed her?

  4. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianApril 20, 2014 at 5:20 pm

    I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your canine companion. You obviously loved her very much. Hard to say what type of poison it was, as very general symptoms and no evidence of what she could have been exposed to

  5. I just read that raw meat is among the list of poisonous foods for dogs. I usually feed my German Shepherd raw beef hamburger, about a large meatball size mixed in with his dry dog food kibble, plus a scoop of pumpkin puree and a fish oil tablet. Should I be cooking the hamburger instead??

  6. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianMarch 18, 2015 at 12:34 pm

    Raw meat diets are actually excellent for pets. See the book Dr Pitcairn’s guide to natural health for dogs and cats for recipes and more information on this topic

  7. I have the same dog and story with my Chiwawa eating garbage .Hardly ate last night now .Hardly drinking ,Throwing up, Diarrhea, 2 day’s now.No money, And don’t think It’s Parvo ? What should I try to do?

Leave a Comment