Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs
|An additive found in many pet medicines as an artificial sweetener, known as xylitol, has been getting a lot of attention recently. While this sugar alcohol compound is commonly added to human foods such as gum, candies, or sweets as a sugar replacement, ingestion by dogs can lead to toxicity in some cases in as soon as 30-60 minutes.|
This compound causes an insulin-like effect on the body resulting in low blood sugar and potassium. Signs may include vomiting, weakness, depression, and wobbliness. If you suspect your dog has accidentally consumed xylitol, it is best to call an emergency veterinary clinic and have your pet examined as soon as possible.
While in some cases vomiting can be induced at home with hydrogen peroxide, other cases will need IV fluids and other supportive care at the veterinary clinic. Now that this effect has been documented, many manufacturers of pet drugs and supplements are removing this additive from their products and looking at other alternative sweeteners.