Halloween pet safety tips
Keep Halloween safe and fun with these pet safety tips
Did you know Halloween is the second most popular day for pets to be reported missing, following July 4th? Due to our tradition of trick-or-treating, our doors are opening and closing all night, giving our pets more opportunities to get out that front door! While we like to show off our pets, and many times in their holiday wear, the truth is Fido may be safer behind a closed door in the bedroom.
I know, but you want to show everyone your pet’s costume! Well, consider doing what we did. Get your pet dressed up in their costume and take a great photo. You can then post it to your door so everyone can see! Should your neighbors ask where your pet is, simply say something such as, “Emma is all partied out and already fast asleep,” which is probably exactly what they are doing.
There are other dangers associated with keeping a pet out and in costume all night, such as:
- Potentially scaring children.
- Tripping or getting caught on objects in your home if your pet’s costume is too loose.
- Tight fitting costumes can cut off circulation or cause sores. A costume should be checked to make sure it doesn’t restrict the pet’s movements in any way. They should be able to see, hear and breathe normally.
- If your pet’s costume covers its armpits and the pads of its feet, your pet may not be able to properly ventilate itself and overheating can occur. Overheating can occur with or without a costume if a pet is in tight quarters with a heater on.
Other Halloween safety tips
Make sure to check your pet’s ID. Is he/she wearing it? Is the information correct? As a reminder, the next time you go to your veterinarian, have him/her check to make sure your pet’s microchip is still reading correctly. If you’ve moved, make sure you have updated the information.
Candles and fire safety
Remember that candles cause fires. Battery powered LED lights are affordable and very realistic. Purchase tea light LED candles for your luminary bags or Jack O’ Lanterns instead of real candles.
Candy and other human treats
The big “no no” for pets this time of year is Halloween candy. Many of us place our trick-or-treat candy on a table by the door so we can hand it out. This is the easiest place for your pet to get into it! Make sure you place the candy going out and the filled bags coming in up high and out of your pet’s reach. It only takes 1 oz. per pound of your pet’s body weight for chocolate to be fatal! If your pet ingests too much chocolate or any other poisonous substance, you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide, however, we recommend contacting your veterinarian immediately.
How season change affects your pet
As the seasons change, there’s a lot to consider to “winterize” your pet. Remember:
- The time of day and light changes affect our pets.
- Mushrooms start growing and should be removed so our pets don’t eat them.
- Rats and other pests are more mobile as they are looking for a warmer home to live in. If you use traps, make sure they are pet friendly.
- Antifreeze is in use. Make sure you are properly storing it.
For more information on seasonal pet safety, please visit us on the Emma Zen Foundation’s Facebook page.