Vaccinating puppies and dogs

Your vet can help with a vaccination schedule for your puppy

Recently, a customer contacted 1-800-PetMeds because he could not find information on vaccinating his 6 month old puppy. I would refer you to the Pet Education article on Dog & Cat Vaccination Schedules for additional information on the topic of vaccines. I thought this would be a great venue for discussing dog vaccines and what a recommended schedule should be. I’ll discuss cat vaccines in another post.

Lets begin by understanding what diseases we are trying to prevent:

• Dogs must be vaccinated against: Rabies (Core vaccine)
  • Most dogs should be vaccinated against: Adenovirus, Distemper, and Parvo (Core vaccines)
  • Some dogs should be vaccinated against: Bordetella, Corona, Leptospirosis, Lyme disease, and Parainfluenza (non-core vaccines)

Your veterinarian is the best source of information in determining which vaccines to use and within what schedule. However, a possible schedule could be:

5 weeks: Parvovirus

6 weeks & 9 weeks: “5-Way” combination. Coronavirus if in a high risk environment such as a kennel, or breeding facility.

12 weeks or older: Rabies (local law dictates age at vaccination)

12 weeks & 15 weeks: “5 way” combination or “7 way” combination (includes Leptospirosis and Coronavirus if these are a concern). Lyme vaccine if this is a concern.

Adult boosters: You should discuss the need for boosters with your veterinarian. Factors such as the potential for exposure to disease as well as the breed, age, and health of the pet are factors that need to be considered. Dogs at low risk of disease exposure may not need annual boosters.

1. are we able to purchase the vaccines from you??? If so how does one go about this, i have searched your site and don’t find the 7 way or rqabies vaccines. Do I need to obtain rx from vet??

2. Can I purchase vaccines from Pet Meds?

3. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianMarch 20, 2011 at 6:21 pm

In the past vaccines were available but best to check with 1800petmeds pharmacist.

4. Clayton J. HinmanJune 9, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Can I purchase the Bordetella/parinfluenza vaccine from you?

5. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianJune 9, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Check with 1800petmeds pharmacist.

6. i would like to know if the 7in1 shots I get from a co-op are the ones I need to give my puppies. Can I purchase these shots from petmeds?

7. 7 ways can be puchased at feed or pet stores…rabies you must have a vet administer…

8. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianSeptember 5, 2011 at 11:32 am

I would advise against 7 in one vaccinations. Most of the components of these polyvalent vaccinations are not needed in most dogs except parvo and distemper in my opinion. These polyvalen vaccinations are overkill in my opinion.

9. My Cyndy is due for a bordello shot is there a pill I can get? Do you have the medication Im speaking of.? Please let me know. Thanks.

10. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianSeptember 13, 2011 at 10:50 pm

There is no pill for bordatella. it is a vaccination.

11. i want to give my puppy its first shots i am a RN can i buy vaccine

12. I have one Min-Pin puppy. He is only 5 days old but I would like to know if I can purchase the shots he will need at 6 weeks and what I need? Mom and dad only weigh 6 lbs. so he will be small.

13. My dog got her rabies shot when she was a puppy. Do I have to go back every year or is it good for longer?

14. my friend’s female German Shepperd (Liza), had 12 puppies, they are about 8 weeks old. he would like to vaccine them himself as well as administer them all the needed medicines all puppies this age need. can you advise us as to what medicines we need for this project?….thanks,

15. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianApril 29, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I wuld give two sets of parvo/distermper vaccination made by proguard called intervet. Only get distemper/parvo, and not the other 5 or 7 in one vaccinations. Give two shots 4 weeks apart for lifetime of immunity. Rabies will need to be given by local vet 4 weeks after last distemper/parvo vaccination. You should start dog on heartworm prevention but you will need prescription from your local vet for heartguard or iverheart.

16. I just got a 6month old puppy, who hasn’t had any shots, can I give her the 7in1 shot and how many times?

17. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianJune 10, 2012 at 5:25 pm

You can give her distemper /parvo vaccination except I only recommend a 2 in one vaccination as I dont feel the other components are necessary and are overkill in most cases. One shot should provide years to lifetime of immunity.

18. I have 4- 5 weeks old shih-tzu need to get their shots have much is this cost please!!

19. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianSeptember 30, 2012 at 10:29 am

Cost of vaccinations vary depending upon manufacturer and vaccine. Wait till 8 weeks to vaccinated at youngest.

20. My puppy is 7 months old and has not had his shots. What would be the recommended course of action for one this age? Thanks

21. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianDecember 19, 2012 at 12:18 am

one parvo/distemper vaccination at this age will give likely liftetime immunity. Rabies should be given by licensed vet.

22. puppies shots

23. Dr. Michael Dym, VMD veterinarianMay 12, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Do you have specific question regarding your puppies’ vaccines?

24. I would like to order the 5 way or 1 in 5 shots/pills for my new puppy from you (pet Meds). It looks like they are to be given twice within a time period. Is that possible?? I do not see anything like that on this website.

25. I would like to order the 5 way or 1 in 5 shots/pills for my new puppy from you (pet Meds). It looks like they are to be given twice within a time period. Is that possible?? I do not see anything like that on this website.